After a good but busy afternoon on Saturday the time finally came, we were prepared and ready for the baptism. It was a beautiful service for our friend Linne and a strong spirit was felt. That service on Saturday concluded the baptism of water, by immersion, for the remission of sins. Yet, Christ said that we must not only be born of the water, but born of the spirit too! If we are to enter into the Kingdom of God.
So the next step is for one to receive the Holy Ghost or have the “baptism of fire“. This comes to one by the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost. On Sunday I had the opportunity to participate in giving Linne the gift of the Holy Ghost. Priesthood holders gathered around and laid hands on her head and proceeded to give her this sacred gift. Although this is a common thing for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints to witness, people we are teaching who attended church hadn’t seen this before. We later told them that this is something derived from the Bible. This is what occurred in Christ’s primitive church. And showed them that it is spoken of here in the Book of Acts:
13) Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and awondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.
14) Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the aword of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
15) Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
16) (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
18) And when Simon saw that through alaying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
19) Saying, Give me also this apower, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.
I find two significant things from these scriptures in the Holy Bible. The first being that the Apostles conferred the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands. The second being that not just anyone can have the ability or authority to give this precious gift. Simon saught to have this ability, he even offered money for it! But the Apostles told him that the ‘gift of God’ or the Priesthood is something that cannot be purchased with money. It too is given by the laying on of hands (just like the Holy Ghost) to one who is qualified and worthy.
This all leads back to the unique message that I share with my brothers and sisters everyday out here on my mission. That because Our Heavenly Father loves us, he has Restored his true church back to the earth today. That the priesthood of God, which allows one to perform sacred ordinances, has been Restored among other truths.
I testify that Jesus Christ lives and that His Church and all of the truths necessary for Exaltation have been Restored to the Earth today.